Friday, July 13, 2012

Serenity's Fourth Birthday Party!


Serenity's Birthday Party Journal

The theme for Serenity's fourth birthday party was Sparkly Science!  Her favorite subject in school this year was science, and sparkly crafts rule in this house.  Plus they both start with the letter S, and she is all about that.  We had sparkly explosions, glitter jars, and mentos geysers.  Plus festive breakfast food, with a syrup experiment in test tubes!















Serenity's party was SO much fun!  For the kids too =)  I set up the experiment table about an hour before the party started, and Serenity couldn't wait to get started.  By the time the guests arrived her fingers were already dyed from the food coloring and all the cups were full of black water.  I dumped those and made new colored vinegar for the first experiment. 

When most of the guests arrived, we got started with the outdoor experiments.  We lucked out with the weather, it was nice and cool so we could have done it all outside, but originally I'd planned to do just the Sparkly Explosions outside.  Sparkly explosions were vinegar, baking soda, food coloring and glitter.  We explored this reaction both directions.  On one table I had trays set up with baking soda, cups with colored vinegar, and pipettes.  The kids squirted pipettes onto the baking soda, watched the little fizzes, and mixed colors.  Serenity was so excited already, she kept saying, "oh, oh, my fizzes!!!"   The next table had the volcano setup.  I got lots of gatorade bottles thanks to Dad, and I had bought a pound of glitter from oriental trading.  The kids got to mix their colors of choice, glitter, and baking soda.  Then we used squirt bottles to quickly add vinegar.  The sparkles were spectacular!  By the end of the party, the table was a solid mass of glitter.  The kids kept coming back to this until the entire two gallons of vinegar I'd bought were gone.  I have to say though, I thought the explosions were even more fun in the little clear plastic cups I used to hold the vinegar.  After they'd colored the entire trays of baking soda in truly beautiful swirly colors, Samantha and Serenity went back after the party was done and dropped big spoonfuls of the baking soda into the vinegar that was mixed with colored water.  I think this looked more spectacular because the food coloring was so much brighter that way, and it took less to overflow the cup. =)  And the mess is the best part!




After the Sparkly Explosions, we came in and explored density with our Glitter Jars.  These are all over the internet right now.  Some people use them as Calm Down or Time Out Jars.  I just like them cause they're pretty, and glittery was the name of the day. =)  For this we used fine glitter, glitter glue, clear glue, and a variety of sequins.  We had food coloring, but that backfired a bit.  Too much food coloring and you can't really see your glitter.  Serenity's turned out awesome, pink glitter glue and aqua glitter, plus every shape sequin you could find.  It's almost like an I-Spy Jar.  I hot glued all the lids shut, and I just have to say, hot gluing in a hurry is a baaaad idea.  Take your time, and use a low temp glue gun =) 



As people finished their jars, pancakes and eggs were coming off the griddles.  The birthday girl loves breakfast foods, so that was the menu.  I ordered custom donuts shaped like beakers and test tubes.  I made mini monkey breads, partially because they are delicious, but mostly because I wanted some place to put the cupcake toppers I made.  My sister was in charge of the griddle and made scrambled eggs.  She even put the sprinkles on top of Serenity's pancake stack in the shape of an S.  Serenity is addicted to letters, part of the reason the party is Sparkly Science is because they both start with the letter S.  We had strawberries too for that reason. =)  The experiment part of breakfast came in with the syrups.  I filled test tubes with six different kinds of syrups for people to mix and match.  Serenity asked for pancakes the next three days so she could continue to play with her syrup stash.  Oh, we also had fruit to try and balance some of the sugar.  =)  And I made gluten free donuts with the help of my Mom's fancy little donut maker. 
I'm bummed, I forgot to take pictures of the donut beakers and test tubes!  Fortunately Corwyn modeled them for me =)


After the food, we did our traditional fishing.  The kids get so excited for those dollar store prizes!  Serenity got a glow stick wand with a Grand Old Flag on top.  And she got the leftovers later too. ;) 

The final big experiment was the awesome Mentos and Diet Coke experiment.  Actually, we got diet orange soda and diet Cherry 7-Up.  So our experiment was to see which one worked the best.  I think they all worked fine.  The Diet Coke maybe went slightly higher than the Cherry 7-Up, but the 7-Up was pink and pretty.  This is always a crowd favorite.  We got the Geyser Tube from Steve Spangler which made it so easy, and it was fun to play with the different tops.  The kids loved counting down to Blast Off! 



After that it was mostly free play.  Serenity opened her wonderful presents (so fast I might not have written down everything people got her, so if your thank you note is wrong, I'm so sorry!  Just know she loved and plays with all her new things even if she thanks you for the wrong one ;)  I did get out the gak for my nephews to make at the end.  Unfortunately, I ended up with a teal carpet for that one.  So it's probably better outside or at least in the kitchen.  Or just keep an eye on the ten year old with the bright blue glue. =)  It did come up from the carpet for the most part.  Miraculously.  Or not, since I'm aching to tear out that carpet.  =) 

Oh, I forgot to write about the favors!  When they arrived at the party, each child was greeted with Safety Glasses, lab coats, and nametags.  The glasses were definitely a big hit.  Oh, and magnifying glasses too.  I got pictures of a few of the guests in front of the Sparkly Science backdrop.  That's still up, I'm still reveling in my success with the Silhouette.  I may have to hang it in Serenity's room, it matches. 

The party was a blast, and Serenity kept experimenting with Samantha until it got dark.  And she hasn't stopped since then, we've done dancing raisins, shiny pennies, color mixing, and just random concoctions of glitter, water, and flowers.  I love it, and I love how creatively she can play with all the science tools I got for the party.  The day after her party she woke up, gave me a big hug, and said "thank you for making me such a nice party."  I am so lucky. =)  She's my sweetheart. 
A little glitter aftermath

9 comments:

  1. What a great party! Looks like everyone had a blast! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a unique and exciting birthday theme!!! Looks like SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun party idea. I bet the kids had a blast. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great. My daughter would love it. I have tried that mentos and soda experiment so many times. BUT I have two huge dogs - English Mastiff and Newfoundland who get to the bottle as soon as I step away from it and catch all the soda as it is shooting from the bottle. It is absolutely hilarious. I am stopping in from TheStuffofSuccess and am also your newest follower. Feel free to stop in and say hello. Enjoy your week. Thanks Athena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great party idea.
    I linked in spicy mince lettuce cups to Live.Laugh. Rowe's linky party. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! I love it. Great Party idea because it is fun and educational at the same time. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fantastic idea! My daughter would adore this! I am your newest follower and I hope you hop over to my Under 300 followers blog hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/07/under-300-followers-blog-hop-11.html
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this! Where did you get the lab coats?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks E.! I got the lab coats at http://www.mrdisposable.com/product/LC5

    ReplyDelete