Well, since I'm on a get things finished kick, I finally pulled out the fabric I'd bought to recover the chairs, and something that I hope will work well to keep them from getting nasty too soon... iron-on vinyl! I bought it by the roll at Jo-Ann's. It went on very nicely, but I will have to do an update on how well it lasts. It was only 17 inches wide, which is exactly the width of my chair, which means that the edge of the vinyl didn't tuck all the way under the chair. So I worry that it'll start to peel. We did have breakfast on them this morning and the milk and cereal wiped off nicely. So far so good! Here's the finished product.