Sunday, October 17, 2010

DIY Playsilks

Here's an easy way to make great toys for your baby... dyeing playsilks!  I found this tutorial here and it was quick and easy!  I ordered various sizes of scarves from Dharma Trading and used vinegar and kool-aid to dye them.  It takes three or four packages of a color to dye them.  I usually didn't end up with a very solid color, but I like the shaded effect!  







Now for the fun part!  We've used these silks for dancing, as a fancy tablecloth for teatime, as lakes and rivers and other landscape, and for superhero capes!  I've used them as sails for boats, as rainbows, oh they can be anything you or your baby can imagine!  Also great for peekaboo, and just as silky blankets =)  It was definitely worth the time and effort!   I love the open ended playtime and creativity you get from simple things like these. 

Oh, and in case you want to know the colors I used, they were Lemonade, Orange, Blue Raspberry, Cherry, Grape, Pink Lemonade, Lemon-Lime.  I also tried Black Cherry, but the colors aren't as clear and pretty with that one, or with the Grape but I just had to have the purple.  =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment