Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sewing: DIY Care Bear Costumes


Sewing: DIY Care Bear Costume
For Serenity’s second Halloween costume, I decided to make her a Care Bear costume.  We have a Funshine and Wish Bear stuffies that live on our bed, and she loves to play with them.  So of course, I needed one for Eric as well.  For Eric’s costume, I lucked into finding a teal colored sweatsuit from Old Navy.  It was fairly cheap, and I got it in my size so I could use it later (although I don’t wear them together… and I removed the tail ;)  So for his costume all I did was make the Care Bear symbol on a big piece of white felt using iron on steam a seam, and then stitching it down on the machine a bit.  I just tacked this onto the tummy, and we added a pillow as he has no padding at all.  Then I added simple ears and a tail, using a piece of pipe cleaner so I could shape them a bit.  And the finishing touch was the little heart on the bottom!





I did a little more sewing on Serenity’s costume, as I couldn’t find a sweat suit in the right colors.  I just used some of her own clothes as a very basic pattern and made them out of a nice warm fleece.  Here’s a bit of advice, fleece does not stretch as much as you think it should!  So it was fairly snug even though I made it bigger than I thought she should need.  But I added the details the same way I did to Eric’s costume.  He wore his costume to work and we met them for lunch, it was fun!  Although Serenity did not really get the idea of trick-or-treating this year, it was great fun and easy! 

15 comments:

  1. Wanna help me figure out how to make a ghost tutu dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!!! I just saw a super cute ghost costume somewhere, I'll start looking for ideas =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!!!!! I love that you got daddy in on the act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this is my favorite DIY costume EVER!! Would you mind if I featured you in my DIY Costume Round Up? I'll link back to you & give you full credit of course. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be wonderful Stacy! I'm off now to check out your website =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is awesome. My friend and I are both preggie and decided that this is the perfect thing to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that will be super cute! I'd love to see the results =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. my sisters and I are going to be Care Bears this year for Halloween. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I may just have to do this for Halloween this year! My daughter loves it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ❤Mrs. McKown
    Little Literacy Learners

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did you do for the extra fabric for the ears? That's the only part I can't figure out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a piece of blue felt that was a similar color to the sweat suit for the blue Wish Bear costume. The yellow was just more of the fleece I used for the top and pants on the funshine costume with a little white felt for lining =) And a felt heart!

      Delete
  11. Super cute costume! Just one question, how did you make the tail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the tail just like the ears. Just two semicircles, stitched together on the curve and then turned and stuck into the seam. Easy!

      Delete
  12. How did you make the little hearts on the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cut a little heart out of felt and tacked it on by hand. =)

      Delete